Why build Timber Frames offsite?
The simple answer to this question is, because the UK can’t achieve its construction volumes without using alternative methods of building.
Currently around 90%* of new homes in England and Wales are built using traditional masonry materials – brick and block. Much of the remaining 10% is timber frame with offsite manufacturing (OSM) having only a small slither of the pie. The story is a little different in the commercial sector where OSM is becoming standard practice for some large players and significant investments are being made into these processes.
So what have these developers realised which the rest of the industry is yet to discover?
Well firstly, OSM has some clear benefits over traditional methods of building – for example:
• Safer working conditions – factories provide far more predictable environments and with less workers on building sites, health and safety issues are greatly reduced
• Improved quality and standard of build – by building in a controlled factory environment, quality of workmanship can be more closely monitored and standards maintained
• Shorter and predictable build times – OSM is not impacted by the weather or by the availability of other trades, so timelines can be agreed and adhered to
• Fewer materials and deliveries to site – delivering modular units and panels to site requires far fewer journeys than traditional methods, meaning a reduction in noise, waste and general disruption.
The building industry needs to change – ‘Modernise or Die’. Interest in OSM is growing amongst developers of all sizes and over the next 12 to 24 months we will see modern methods of construction becoming more and more commonplace on construction sites UK-wide.